15 Apr 2009

The Alchemist


I just finished ‘The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coelho and I thought I ought to let you guys know about it. It was a very interesting book. The kind, you can’t just put down. I’m not generally interested in travelogues. But this one was different. It’s not quite the travelogue kind more about chasing dreams. I had a long lost dream of visiting the mystique Himalayas, a dream I had long forgotten but this book rekindled the dream in me to explore, to trod the untrodden paths and discover the beauty of god’s creations….

The protagonist. Santiago is a boy who has shown the courage and willpower to chase his dreams throwing away all the social stigmas. He chose the wandering and less recognized life of a shepherd to a life of farmer. This is a story of how he overcomes the hurdles along the path, learning from the people and places some of the most valuable lessons of his life.
The story teaches us that the first step in realizing your dreams is realizing yourself. Harnessing the immense potential from within and believing in the path shown by the heart..
A line that is often quoted in the book goes,” When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it”. Sounds familiar? Well this was the catch line in our very own bollywood blockbuster ‘Om Shanti Om’!! But true to the core…

No comments:

Post a Comment